Sunday, October 19, 2014

Em-BEAR-assing

(http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1886811-chicago-bears-offseason-question-is-cutler-worth-a-multi-year-deal)

Never have I ever been this embarrassed this year to call myself a Chicago Bears fan who goes to a school in Wisconsin. Okay, maybe there was that one time where I lost that bet earlier in the season, but that's besides the point here.

If you weren't too busy celebrating the Packers victory or suppressing what just happened a few hours ago, you know by now that the Bears just lost yet another home game. Oh, but it gets better. They are now 3-4 for the season, and three of those losses took place in Soldier Field. Wait, there's more! Want to know who they lost to today and what the score was? That would be the Miami Dolphins, and the final score was 27-14.

Yes, you read that correctly. I'm already mentally preparing myself for all the Jay Cutler jokes I'm bound to get this week.

Now, according to several reports, we know that there was a whole lot of arguing and fighting after game. Brandon Marshall reportedly called out Jay Cutler and kicker Robbie Gould, and people had to be restrained and taken out of the locker room. You know, all that typical "team in disarray" stuff you hear about almost every year, many of these cases stemming from teams that people predicted to actually be contenders in a way.

Question: Why don't they take that intensity, use it on the field, and stop putting fans on an embarrassing roller coaster of a season?

The Bears are supposed to contend for the NFC North. They're supposed to put up major points on the board in their second year under head coach Marc Trestman. Cutler is supposed have a dark horse MVP-caliber year. The defense was supposed to be better with all the acquisitions in the offseason.

So...where is THAT Chicago Bears team?

Let's look at what the Bears have done this season. So far, they have:

  • Lost to the Bills, of all teams, in Week 1. The Bills!!
  • Came back in dramatic fashion against the 49ers on Sunday Night Football
  • beat the Jets on Monday Night Football, but everyone knows that was luck
  • Lost to the Packers. Enough said.
  • Thanks to turnovers, lost a winnable game against the Panthers 
  • Made the Falcons look stupid, and then...
  • Made the Dolphins make them look like the stupid ones
Long story short, this season has been deceiving if anything. When they win, they look like the NFC North contenders that they should be (with the exception of that Jets game). Oh, but when they lose, it's absolutely atrocious. It's miserable. It's ugly. Better yet, it's worthy of Randy Orton showing up out of nowhere, hitting me with an RKO, and putting my fandom out of it's misery. 

I mean, have you seen those Vines lately? Okay, sorry, off topic again.

I get it, Chicago. I get that our defense is bad, and it doesn't help that someone gets hurt every single game. I get that Cutler likes to occasionally, borderline frequently, catch a case of the Rex Grossman (if you're a Bears fan, you know what I mean. Same goes for you, Packer fans). I get Jeffery and Marshall has been hurt and Matt Forte started slow. But after what happened today, I'm not sure how I can bring myself to defend a team who doesn't have an identity. Honestly, can the real Chicago Bears, whoever you are, please just stand up?

Please, for the love of my Great Aunt Petunia...just. Win. Consistently (preferably at home, too). Better yet, pick an identity and stick with it.

I don't have a Great Aunt Petunia, but you get the point. I can settle for a home victory at the very least.


No comments:

Post a Comment